General Meaning: Honey speaks of the sweetness of the Lord, richness, abundance, prosperity and luxury.
• The Lord spoke many promises of giving honey. It was considered a food of luxury and wealth.
If you were wealthy in those days, you ate honey! It was a delicacy and something to be sought after.
• Positive: I have often seen honey in the spirit. I remember one time the Lord saying to me, “Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.”
• Then as I did it, I saw Him fill it with this rich, thick honey that poured into my throat.
• As I drank it in, He told me that I was to consume His word this way; that He was going to fill me with his anointing and with his goodness.
• The Lord’s nature and presence is often likened to honey. It is a picture of His sweetness and beauty. Honey has some wonderful meanings if you take a look in the Word.
• Honey is also a picture of knowledge and wisdom (Prov 24:14)
• Speaking of Blessing and Prosperity
• Numbers 13:27 And they told him, and said, We came to the land where you sent us, and surely it flows with milk and honey; and this [is] the fruit of it.
• Speaking of the Lord’s Nature
• Song of Solomon 4:11 Your lips, O [my] bride, drop [as] the honeycomb: honey and milk [are] under your tongue; and the fragrance of your garments [is] like the smell of Lebanon.
• Negative: In the book of revelation a prophet was made to eat a scroll that tasted of honey but was bitter in the stomach. (Rev 10:10)
• The Lord told me once that this represented the world; that those who sought after the world and did not know Him chased after everything they thought was fun and exciting.
• They sought things that tasted sweet in the mouth (satisfied the flesh). While they were tasting of the world and going to all the clubs, bars and places of sin, they tasted honey in their mouths.
• Every time they sinned, it tasted good to them for that moment. But when they went home, then that same honey was bitter in their hearts.
• The sin and the offer of the world tasted like honey for but a moment, but left behind a bitterness, emptiness and void deep within.
• This is why they kept looking for that taste of honey. They tasted the false, but we have the real honey to give them that never runs dry or makes you bitter. It is Jesus Christ, whose touch is rich and sweet!
• See also: Milk.